together we're stronger
Rehabilitating and releasing animals back into the forest is our prime objectives, as we strive to contribute to healthy wildlife populations and ecosystems.
More and more conservation efforts are undermined every year by corporate interests and corrupt government officials, while our planet is entering a mass extinction event.
By volunteering at amaZOOnico you're supporting conservation hands on. Our dream is that amaZOOnico and other wildlife rescue centers do not exist 20, 30, 40 years from now, and that people respect the ecosystems on which their lives depend
- Minimum 18 years old
- Minimum commitment of 1 month
- Cover food and lodging expenses ($260 per month and non refundable)
- Passion for wildlife conservation
- Professional attitude
- Ability to perform strenuous activities in hot humid rainforest conditions
- Comfort residing in a remote tropical location, with limited communication
- Comfort working and communicating in a multicultural context
- Fluent English or Spanish
- Have a better planet to live in
- Gain first hand experience in wildlife conservation
- Experience the beautiful amazon rainforest
- Join Liana Lodge (our neighbor and conservation partner) tours for free
- Join our forest guards on patrols around Selva Viva Jungle for free
- Become immersed in a unique multicultural setting
- Make long lasting friendships
- Internship/volunteer certificate
3 IMPORTANT RULES
Rules in our center are very important to assure the security of animals and humans. Not following the rules will mean the expulsion of the center.
- We can't interact with the animals (touching, talking, feeding them directly or looking them in the eyes)
- We have to follow all the biosecurity instructions that will be given in the introduction of the volunteering
- We have to follow the daily schedule
- Maintenance of animal enclosures
- Preparation of animal food
- Animal feeding
- Preparation of animal enrichments
- General maintenance of the center
- Guided tours with focus in the conservation
Specific tasks for conservation biologists:
- Daily animal care and management through the hands-off protocol
- Design and participation in enrichment plans
- Assistance in socialization and releases processes when needed
- Design and participation in environmental activities
- Collaboration with researchers (field assistents)
- How long can I stay in amaZOOnico?
Since it takes a few weeks to train our volunteers, we request that you be able to stay at amaZOOnico for a minimum of one month. The longer you can stay the better it is for us and the animals.
- What are the living conditions like?
Volunteers live in a wood house with electricity and gas in single, double or triple rooms. Only cold running water is available. The food includes basic ingredients such as pasta, rice, some meat, eggs, flour, powdered milk and fresh vegetables. Most of the time we've wifi.
- Do I need any vaccinations?
For this information, the best is to contact the travel advisory clinic in your country. You should be up to date on all your regular vaccinations (tetanus, diphtheria, polio, hepatitis). Rabies is endemic in this part of Ecuador, however the risk of contracting the disease here is minimal. There is no malaria and no yellow fever in the region.
More questions? Take a look in here or contact us.
volunteer FEE payments
- In here you can make your deposit, after your application has been accepted.
- Please, make a screenshot of the completed transaction and send it to us.