wild animals are not pets
how to love them?
IN HERE, LOVE MEANS NO INTERACTION. why?
Those who can be released need to learn that in the jungle humans = hunters
Those who can't be released deserve to live stresless
That's why we avoid all kinds of interaction with them
At the end, loving is respecting the others' needs, not fulfilling our own desires
- Minimum 18 years old
- Minimum commitment of 1 month
- Cover food and lodging expenses ($260 per month and non refundable)
- Passion for wildlife conservation
- Professional attitude
- Ability to perform strenuous activities in hot humid rainforest conditions
- Comfort residing in a remote tropical location, with limited communication
- Comfort working and communicating in a multicultural context
- Fluent English or Spanish
- Do something good for the animals and the planet
- Learn about wildlife management, and conservation
- Experience the beautiful amazon rainforest
- Become immersed in a unique multicultural setting
- Make long lasting friendships
- Join Liana Lodge (our neighbor and conservation partner) tours for free
- Join our forest guards on patrols around Selva Viva for free
- Internship/volunteer certificate
3 important RULES
Rules in our center are very important to assure the security of animals and humans. Not following the rules will mean the expulsion of the center.
- We can't interact with the animals (touching, talking, feeding them directly or looking them in the eyes)
- We have to follow all the biosecurity instructions that will be given in the introduction of the volunteering
- We have to follow the daily schedule
- Maintenance of animal enclosures
- Preparation of animal food
- Animal feeding
- Preparation of animal enrichments
- General maintenance of the center
- Guided tours with focus in the conservation
Specific tasks for animal lovers:
- The tasks vary according to the skills of the volunteers (graphic design, welding, public speaking, painting, repairing materials, good writing,...)
- How long can I stay in amaZOOnico?
Since it takes a few weeks to train our volunteers, we request that you be able to stay at amaZOOnico for a minimum of one month. The longer you can stay the better it is for us and the animals.
- What are the living conditions like?
Volunteers live in a wood house with electricity and gas in single, double or triple rooms. Only cold running water is available. The food includes basic ingredients such as pasta, rice, some meat, eggs, flour, powdered milk and fresh vegetables. Most of the time we've wifi.
- Do I need any vaccinations?
For this information, the best is to contact the travel advisory clinic in your country. You should be up to date on all your regular vaccinations (tetanus, diphtheria, polio, hepatitis). Rabies is endemic in this part of Ecuador, however the risk of contracting the disease here is minimal. There is no malaria and no yellow fever in the region.
More questions? Take a look in here or contact us.
volunteer FEE payments
- In here you can make your deposit, after your application has been accepted.
- Please, make a screenshot of the completed transaction and send it to us.